Freebie Friday has come upon us once again! Today’s freebie is a set of 264 vector icons created by Piotr Kwiatkowski. These free icons come in SVG, AI, ESP, PSD, CSH and PNG formats for download. The set includes many different useful icons and also includes some social media icons, so it’s everything you need in this one download.
Click the title or image below to be directed to the download page.
WordPress is the most popular CMS on the planet, and being the most popular also makes it a target for attacks. According to Pagely, a large managed hosting system for WordPress websites, there are two primary types of malware attacks aimed at WordPress.
The first type, injections, happens when your website is injected with code like links or advertisements that go to another website. Like the infographic says below, this code that is injected is usually hidden from normal view but still visible to search engines. As you can imagine, this could destroy your websites SEO and get you punished by Google.
The second type, back doors, are a method of bypassing normal authentication by illegally gaining remote access to a server, website files, and so on. This can obviously become a huge problem and could destroy your website.
The best thing you can do to prevent attacks or hackers is to secure your information, use a reliable hosting service, and be sure to back up your website regularly. Put a password on your wifi and make sure your passwords are strong and not easy for someone to guess. Check out the infographic below for some more great info and best practices to help keep your WordPress website secure.
This Friday’s freebie is a poster mockup created by Mike Delsing. This free poster mockup comes in PSD format for easy manipulation and editing. This poster mockup is perfect for showcasing an upcoming event or project. Included in the PSD are different lighting layers to change the lighting of the poster and also folds layers to add fold creases to the poster mockup.
Click the heading or image below to direct to the download page.
Calligraphy was a dying art just a few short years ago, but has recently been an emerging trend. For those that are unfamiliar, Calligraphy is a decorative handwriting produced with a pen or brush in one stroke (rather than many built up strokes). You may be most familiar with Calligraphy because of it’s use in wedding invitations and other formal flyers that use handwritten type, but it has recently taken off in the form of logo design.
I consider Calligraphy to be a very exclusive art, what I mean by that is, it’s not something many people do or are able to do because it takes a great deal of skill. In an effort to bring some awareness to this fine art I have gathered below 15 great Calligraphers that you should follow on Dribbble (or just follow in general). I picked these because I follow most of them and they pump out great work on a regular basis. With each Calligrapher I’ve posted a piece of their work, you can follow them by clicking on their name(s) below.
I am sure most of you can relate to this, every now and then you get into these “funks” where you have no inspiration or motivation to do anything. If this ever happens to you then you know how depressing it can be and how it negatively impacts your work. Sometimes this kind of depression, or lack of motivation, comes after failure(s). One thing you have to remember though is that success is built upon failure.
When I fall into this “funk” I tend to try a few things to help get my motivation, inspiration, and positive attitude back. One of the main things I do is find inspirational quotes on the web, whether it be Pinterest, Tumblr, or other sites like that. Here I have gathered 10 inspiring quotes that can help you get out of that inspiration drought and get motivated and re-inspired.
- 1. “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” – Albert Einstein
- 2. “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein
- 3. “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” – Albert Einstein
- 4. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
- 5. “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” – Buddha
- 6. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
- 7. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
- 8. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
- 9. “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas Edison
- 10. “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” – Pablo Picasso
- 11. “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
- 12. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
- 13. “I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.” – Steve Jobs
- 14. “…the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Steve Jobs
- 15. “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him.” – Sidney Greenburg
- 16. “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” – Bill Cosby
- 17. “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby
- 18. “It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.” – Howard Ruff
- 19. “When the need to succeed is as bad as the need to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” – Eric Thomas
- 20. “Pain is temporary; quitting is forever.” – Lance Armstrong
- 21. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
- 22. “I didn’t fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.” – Benjamin Franklin
- 23. “Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs.” – Farrah Gray
- 24. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
- 25. “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” – Confucius
- 26. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- 27. “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.” – Confucius
- 28. “You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.” – Beverly Sills
- 29. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
- 30. “Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward.” – Victor Kiam
I hope at least one of these quotes have helped you retrieve the motivation and inspiration you’ve been lacking. Feel free to comment below any of your favorites that were not listed above.
This weeks Christmas deal comes to us from 4ustudio. This bundle comes with 10 different color sample mainstream Christmas flyers and a New Years flyer. These modern and eye-popping Christmas flyers are perfect for any club, bar, office, or home event. The flyers are easy to edit so you can change text, edit colors, move items, turn on/off layers creating many different looks. This bundle comes in PSD formats and set at a size of 1748×2480px.
You can get this Christmas flyer and New Years flyer bundle for a great deal at only $11. If you’re looking for other kinds of flyers besides Christmas you can check out 4ustudio’s huge collection here. Click the heading or image below to learn more and grab this deal.
In today’s world of mobile devices, having a mobile app is all the craze right now. There are some things you need to know before plunging into the mobile app world; The different types of mobile apps. Yes, there is more than one type of mobile application and knowing the difference is crucial if you are in the market for having a mobile app built.
As this infographic by FreeMan Marketing explains, there are 3 different types of mobile apps. The first type of mobile app is Native, the second is Hybrid, and the third is Web.
1.) Native apps are housed on the device and have access to various phone features. Some examples of native apps include most games and utilities that you can use without internet access.
2.) Hybrid apps use both the native phone features and web features. Some examples of hybrid apps are Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, and The Weather Channel.
3.) Web apps require internet access, as they are on actually just websites, but they look and feel similar to a regular app. An example of a web app is if you visit Twitter or Facebook on your phone using the phones web browser, both websites look like apps but they are actually just mobile versions of the website.
Below you can see in the infographic various examples of each type of app.
View a larger version here.